If you’ve ever needed to pack your jewelry for moving, you’ve undoubtedly found yourself detangling necklaces and hunting down lost earring backs later on. And when you’ve spent the last two days unpacking after a move, nothing is more frustrating than spending another hour unknotting chains thinner than a millimeter. But there are a few quick and easy solutions for how to make packing your jewelry for moving painless:
How to Pack Jewelry for Moving
Instructions: How to Pack Necklaces for Moving
- Separate your necklaces in a few groups – you’ll want to pack chunky, statement pieces together, and keep thin-chain necklaces in their own group.
- Unclasp the necklaces and grab an empty toilet paper roll.
- One necklace at a time, thread the necklace chain through the toilet paper roll and close the clasp so the necklaces hangs freely from the roll.
- Repeat for all necklaces, using one toilet paper roll for each group of necklaces.
- When you’re done, carefully lay each toilet paper roll in a resealable bag. You can use one gallon-sized bag for all of your necklaces.
- Pack your bag of necklaces inside a box, and enjoy detangle-free unpacking!
Need to pack bracelets, too? You can use the same process for bracelets that have an open/close clasp.
Instructions: How to Pack Earrings for Moving
- Grab a clean paper plate from your kitchen (be sure to use one that will fit in a resealable gallon-sized bag).
- Remove the back from an earring. Carefully poke the earring through the paper plate.
- On the backside of the paper plate, re-clasp the earring back onto the back of the earring.
- Repeat the process for the rest of your earrings.
- Place the paper plate in a gallon-sized resealable bag (just in case the earring backs get lost!). Be careful not to press down on the back and accidentally poke through the plastic with the sharp earring backs.
- Put your bag of earrings in a box, ideally between soft items.
Now that you’ve got your jewelry packed away, all that’s left is figuring out moving day, and the best moving hack is getting moving day help whenever you need it with Dolly. We’ll connect you with local pickup truck drivers who are ready to help, on your schedule. Save yourself moving day stress by getting reliable moving day help from Dolly.